Not Rich Yet

Read through my chronicles of life, poker, and the quest for a lot of money, not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What's the right answer here?

So, Poker Office just released version 2.0, which has started a big fight here.

I can see where these people are coming from. I only bought Poker Office three weeks ago, so I know I was ready to be pissed as hell until I found out I was one of the lucky people who would get a free upgrade.

But what's the right call for the Poker Office people in this policy? I am leaning towards the idea that they should give free upgrades to anyone who has purchased it in the past three months, not the past three weeks. That sounds fair to me, but it's hard to say for sure because of one important fact: the primary upgrades provided by the new Poker Office are not the primary upgrades people have been requesting.

Look, I agree the new features in Poker Office 2.0 are sweet! The mucked cards thing is cool, the new graphs are cool, in general its a great new product. But it's lacking the one thing I see people clamoring for again and again on the forums: live tracker support for more sites.

I realize this is difficult to do, but its hard for Poker Office to take the stance of charging people because "development on the product is expensive" when they're not putting the development in the direction that most people are requesting. I would like to see the users vote with their pocket books and say 'Ok, we'll pay the $45 upgrade fee... WHEN there is support for Poker Room, Full Tilt, and Ultimate Bet in Poker Office." What scares me however, is that Poker Office may not really be listening and may instead just go "Well, no one is buying our product, I guess we better stop supporting it."

Poker Office, you have a fantastic product. You could probably take over the market from Poker Tracker if you just supported more sites, and you had better customer support. Both of these things are not hard to accomplish (although admittedly supporting more sites is probably annoyingly tedious).

Get a move on. I want to see you succeed.

4 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

if they don't like it...don't buy it.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, the consumer's power in a capitalistic economy. Gotta love it. I agree with Girard on this one.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Ray said...

The problem is that this attitude hurts all the current users. If no one buys the product, they will stop supporting it, and all fo the current user's, including me, will be screwed.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Ray, you take that risk with any purchase, though. Ask anyone who dropped lots of money on a Daewoo Leganza, or a Sega 32X, or Asheron's Call 2. Sometimes, the product goes terminal. Hopefully that will not be the case here, of course, but it can happen.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home